Well, my little darlings, I think it’s time again for a quick recording of what is happening in our lives. Thanks once again to blue milk for this idea- a regular reckoning of the pluses and minuses of baby farming. Though I am going to play the twin card and reduce to 5 things each.
You are both especially charming at this age, and are learning to play together. Mainly this means concussing each other with whatever is to hand and biting each other, but sometimes you actually do have fun together. You both also love wiping things with sponges or towels, sweeping the floor, and using forks. You are both pretty steady on your feet now, and we are embarking on the era of playgrounds and INCREDIBLY SLOW walks. Here are some of the things which charm and irritate me at this juncture.
Janek- five things
1. You have become an incredibly affectionate little boy who likes to cuddle just for fun. I love it when you squeeze me and bury your face in my neck.
2. You are completely unafraid of strangers, and go up to them wherever we are, holding out your arms to be picked up. Last weekend you tried to go home with Marcin’s parents’ neighbour in Pruszków. At the playground, you love to approach other kids and see what they’re doing.
3. You are starting to communicate with language, which I find utterly amazing. Yesterday you asked me for a nana.
4. I love the way you jump from foot to foot pant and snicker when you see food you want.
5. You are sleeping much better since we came home from Australia. Luckily for you.
Janek: another 5 things
1. You still have bad eczema, and it still worries me.
2. You are developing your tantruming skills when you don’t get what you want, flinging yourself on the floor and wailing like a siren. It makes me feel impotent and furious in equal measure.
3. You are often very clingy, especially when you’re tired, and want to be picked up a lot. I now understand my mother’s constant requests when we were kids to ‘get out from under her feet.’
4. You wake up like your father- slowly and grumpily. Even after a good nap or a full night’s sleep, you stagger around grumbling with your dandelion hair sticking up, pissed at being conscious.
5. You have learnt how to climb onto the chair in the kitchen. Technically this is a step forward, and should maybe impress me, but I don’t really like the way it opens up a whole world of benchtop murder weapons and suicide options. Though the way you lounge about there, grinning at me, is pretty funny.
Maja- 5 things
1. The way you say “Uwaga!” (look out!) , when you want Marcin to tip you backwards off his knees.
2. The way you show all your teeth when you smile.
3. You love trying to put your own clothes on. The other day you got into Marcin’s t-shirt, which reached your ankles, and sat on the lounge laughing and waiting for me to notice.
4. You can amuse yourself for a long time, and come up with all the fun games- climbing into the cupboard and closing the door, putting the Mr. Lion puppet on your arm and waving it around, throwing my shoes into the bathwater.
5. Your dancing. You can’t help yourself when you hear music, and you have this hilarious zombie style where you put your arms out and shift from side to side.
Maja- another 5 things
1. You’re an early riser. Need I say more?
2. You’re a biter. I never know when I’m going to get a ferocious nip on the back of my leg. You are impervious to my stern ‘no biting!’, which is basically all I have in my discipline arsenal at the moment.
3. The way you like to poke Janek and sit on him when he is already asleep.
4. Your consummate skill in finding used kiddy bandaids at the playground or the mummy cafe, and putting them in your mouth.
5. Your ability to hit your head. You have a never ending series of bruises on your forehead, sometimes with no apparent cause.